Saturday, November 2, 2013

Feedback

A common feeling that comes to mind when I think about feedback is that awful screeching sound that a microphone emits when you step too close to the doohickey and the thingamabob. The next thing that comes to mind is another feeling of pain because feedback means I have room for improvement and I like to unrealistically believe I am perfect. I know that is not a smart way to live, thinking that there is no room for self-improvement, in fact, the Emotionally Intelligent Leadership model is largely based upon self improvement. Feedback is not my favorite thing, but I learned through the years about how I can work on being receptive of feedback, because feedback shines a light on areas that need improvement and also in areas where you excel.

So this is what is discovered about my relationship with feedback. I need to remind myself to be open to it, to acknowledge the value of it, and to invite it into my daily life. I found that I am more receptive to feedback if I invite it into my life as a friend, and not as a negative entity.  What I found to be interesting was that once I began to invite feedback into my life it became a very useful tool for personal and group development. I asked a coworker about feedback of my my leadership style and embraced the good news along with  the areas where he told me I could improve. I will be honest and say I did not want to believe I needed to improve but hearing from a peer that there are some things I can work on is motivational. So even though it may not be my greatest friend, feedback is my greatest mentor.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you said that you are more receptive to feedback when you invite it into your life. This assignment helped me realize that as well. When we are given constructive criticism out of the blue it can seem more offensive than it really is However, when you ask for it, it can be a great thing!

    ReplyDelete